1 Authentic Woman

Thursday, November 15, 2012

What is womanhood to You?

   When I think about womanhood, I think about the generations of women in my family....my great-grandmother, grandmother, mommy.  When I think about other women in my life I think about my mother's best friend, my fifth/eighth grade teacher, 4-H leader, my best friend's mom. When I think about womanhood I wonder where it has gone and what it will be like in the future for my nieces, my daughter, and their friends.
  What has happened to womanhood? Has it been lost to technology, selfishness, independence and insecurities? Where are the grandmothers that taught us that a lady must be a lady at all times? There are more and more girl fights, more and more girls going to jail. Along with that, there are more single mothers than ever.  Although teen pregnancy has gone down, it has now been glamorized.
   How can we teach our girls to be a better women, friend(s) and  significant other(s), if we are unsure of who we are? Who are you, who am I , who are we?  Are you who people see? Do you show people who you think they want to see?  Who do you see when you look in the mirror?
  Have we become so lost in the verbiage of "old school/new school". Old school seems to be a curse. Respect for yourself, respect for others, love, kindness,loyalty,friendship. compassion and nurturing  all of the emotions that made us women. It seems that we have traded "up" to new school independence. This new school independence has mutated our old school womanhood. So we will end with a question to reflect on....
What is womanhood to YOU?
Please be sure to comment.
See you next week!!!

1 comment:

  1. When I think of the term "womanhood," I think of the social ties that women share with each other. When abused, these ties can wound even deeper than the betrayal of a husband who vowed loyalty in front of God and community. That's why the cheating best friend is often scorned more than the deceitful husband. When reinforced, these ties can uplift higher than the praise of a spouse. That's why so often women look to other friends to celebrate achievements.

    No one ever has to teach women that they are somehow connected to each other, but sometimes we need to be reminded of the fact and the responsibility we should hold towards each other.

    ReplyDelete